Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Ready or Not...Here I come!

That's right, I'm gonna find you Mont Blanc...and while doing so, probably myself. This will be my first 100 miler, if I complete it. I'll be a 'true' Ultramarathoner. I'm not trying to say that people including myself who run 100+ kilometers aren't ultra-marathoners or according to the IT geeks...uh, I mean, guys I work with "ultrathoners" but we all know that completing your first 100 MILER is the real deal! I think I might be a little crazy because I'm going into this race with the least amount of training mileage on my feet in years. Buuuut, I just couldn't let this opportunity pass without getting out there and giving it a shot. It won't be my best, I know that...but all I'm looking for at this point is a FINISH! I want to be a 100 mile finisher. Is that too much to ask for??

I've been getting my stuff ready for the big day. I will have the second most amazing support team (my mother was THE most amazing) out there supporting me along the way. This will be really nice and will allow me not to have to carry as much as I would have normally if I didn't have people meeting me out on the trail at approved checkpoints. In the past, my pack has been full to the brim, most of it with my nutrition, Tailwind isn't light when you have 12-15 packs in your bag. Now, with my Dream Team helping where they can, I can lighten the load and run as minimal as possible. This is going to be hard to do no matter what the mandatory and recommended packing list adds weight and bulk to the bag. I'm going to try and run with as little as possible, just the mandatory stuff and nutrition to get me to checkpoints where my team will be.

So, am I ready I keep getting asked...only time will tell! My heart is, my mind is...so, yeah, I'm ready!

Can't wait to see all my new and old ultra running friends and share this time with my non-running friends. I can't wait to feel those pre-race jitters on race day and the pain in my lungs and muscles during the climbs. It's going to be GREAT!

I'll be there this Thursday, Chamonix :)

So, here's the nutrition I'll be taking during the race:













Below is the packing list for the races!

Copied directly from the UTMB site: http://www.ultratrailmb.com/page/16/UTMB®_CCC®_TDS®_OCC_Regulations.html

*********************************************************************************

Obligatory material :

UTMB®
CCC®
TDS®
OCC
mobile phone with option enabling its use in the three countries
(put in one’s repertoire the security numbers of the organisation, keep it switched on, do not hide one’s number and do not forget to set off with recharged batteries)
OBLIGATORY
personal cup or tumbler 15cl minimum (water bottle not acceptable)OBLIGATORY
stock of water minimum 1 litreOBLIGATORY
two torches in good working condition with replacement batteries
2 torches
1 torch
survival blanket 1.40m x 2m minimumOBLIGATORY
whistleOBLIGATORY
adhesive elastic band enable making a bandage or a strapping (mini 100cm x 6 cm)OBLIGATORY
food reserveOBLIGATORY
Jacket, with a hood, capable of withstanding the bad mountain weather and made with a waterproof (minimum recommended: 10 000 Schmerber) and breathable (RET recommended less than 13) membrane (Gore-Tex or similar)OBLIGATORY
long running trousers or leggings or a combination of leggings and long socks which cover the legs completelyOBLIGATORY
Additional warm midlayer top: One single midlayer long sleeve top for warmth (cotton excluded) with a minimum weight of 180g (Men, size M)
OR a two piece clothing combination of a long sleeve baselayer/midlayer for warmth (cotton excluded) with a minimum weight of 110g (Men, size M) and a windproof jacket* with DWR (Durable Water Repellent) protection
OBLIGATORYStrongly
recommended
in the case
of bad
weather
cap or bandanaOBLIGATORY
warm hatOBLIGATORY
warm and waterproof glovesOBLIGATORY
waterproof over-trousersOBLIGATORY
    * The windproof jacket does not replace the mandatory waterproof jacket with hood

    Required by the frontier police forces :

    • identity papers

    Very strongly recommended :

    • Knife or scissors with which to cut the self-adhesive elasticised bandage
    • walking poles for security on slippery ground in case of rain or snow
    • a change of warm clothes indispensable in the case of cold weather, rain or injury
    • the sum of 20 € minimum (in order to cover the unexpected....)

    Advised (list not definitive) :

    Telescopic sticks, change of clothing, compass, knife, string, sun cream, Vaseline or anti-chaffing cream, needle and thread,...

    All clothing must be the runner’s size and without alteration since leaving the factory.
    You will carry this material in a pack which must be tagged at the race-bib distribution and is not exchangeable during the race.


    If you decide to use poles, you must keep them throughout the whole of the race… It is forbidden to start without sticks and recover them up along the way.
    No poles will be allowed in the spare’s bags.

    *********************************************************************************



    No comments: