Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Mothering, Running and Racing

Wow, life is moving so fast now! It's the middle of October and my little one is almost 15months. She's walking, talking and discovering new things daily. She's really keeping me busy and on my toes. But, I'm so happy and love that she's in my life! Finding the balance between mothering and running is actually going pretty well. I really wanted to try and have a full racing season but I think my season is over for the year and I'm happy that I got to race when I did. I had a decent year coming back after pregnancy, so for that I'm grateful. Overall, I feel pretty good about my successes and even better than that, I feel I'm recovered. I'm not suffering from any overuse injuries like I did a few years ago nor do I have any lingering problems from pregnancy. I feel like post baby, I'm a stronger runner. And, that is actually why I wanted to write this post. Some people have asked me about getting back out there and how I go about doing it. The questions made me evaluate myself and analyze what I do that may be a little different from what others are doing.


1. EATING:
There are a couple things I do that I think have contributed to me being able to get back on the trails and even be competitive again. For one, I eat healthy. I try and choose organic, natural and fresh foods. I don't eat processed meats, canned foods or premade meals of any kind. I don't ever snack on junk food but will occasionally eat a piece of chocolate, have some ice cream or have a piece of cake that a co-worker brings into the office.


2. DRINKING: And no, I don't mean adult beverages. I'm talking about drinks throughout the day. I pretty much only drink water. I NEVER drink sodas, rarely drink juice or sports drink and sometimes drink a coffee (1 time a day for the past....I'd say, ummm 15 months now)


3. PRACTICE:
I make time to practice. I fit my training into my day in some way or another...at least most of the time. There are days where it just doesn't work out and that is ok but for the most part, I make it work. I do the work. Like that song...you gotta work, work, work, work, work!


4. EXTERNAL AIDES:
I use a couple different products that I feel either help me recover faster or help me while I'm training. First, I use Young Living oils on my skin everyday. I make my own blend that I feel helps provide me with some beneficial qualities for recovery as well as for energy. Peppermint is one I use a lot that gives me energy. I use it throughout my day when I'm feeling a bit tired and right before going on a run. My second aide is coffee! When all else fails...I drink a cup of coffee and boy does that wake me right up and gives me the motivation I need to get out the door and train. The third aide I use is Tailwind nutrition. Man, I love this stuff...it's amazing. I've been using it for almost 4 years now and I have really seen a huge difference. On long runs/races I don't suffer from stomach problems that I used to and I also no longer suffer from Exertional rhabdomyolysis like I did in the past.


5. YOGA & STRENGTH TRAINING:
This is one area that I know is so important to fit in but sometimes I find is the area that I lack in. I like to do 1 session of yoga a week as well as one session of my personally designed circuit workout. Yoga usually takes an hour while my circuit strength training only takes about 20 mins (but I feel the soreness for days).

My workout:
100 total reps broken into 4 sets of 25
Lunges holding 8lbs dumbells
Ab Roller
Squats holding 30lb kettle bell 
Kettle bell swings 30lb bell

6. MASSAGES:
I get "body work" done about once a week. I really feel this is important because it helps alleviate soreness and tightness that I may be having. Getting a massage is not only good for the physical body but also for the mind. These are not the kind of massages that you fall asleep in though. I'm talking about deep tissue, working out issues before they arise kind of massage. Which leads me to the final thing that I think helps contribute to my success and that is....


5. SLEEP:
I make sure and get my rest. I used to get about 8-9 hours a night but now I'm happy with 6-7. It's enough to let my body recover and for me to feel fresh again.

Well, I hope you enjoyed this post and am happy to answer any questions!





No comments: