Thursday, December 22, 2016

See you later, Germany!


This week I announced that I'll be relocating with family to Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA. Although I'm super excited for the new adventure, I can not leave without saying a proper goodbye to Deutschland.

To the place that I've lived the longest in my adult life. The place that will always hold a special place in my heart as many life changing events have happened while living here, both good and bad. I got to travel Europe, lost my father, I became a marathoner, an ultra-marathoner, I got divorced, met a great guy and amazing friends, got pregnant with my daughter and it's the place she was born. I have so many memories here. It's a place that I love.

Germany has so much to offer. The people are caring and genuine. They don't pretend. If they ask how you are doing, they really mean it and want to know. They are also a lot of fun and love to have a good time...especially when beer is involved ;). When I first arrived in country, I wasn't sure how I would like it but, over the years I've grown to feel very much at home here. It takes some getting used to because there are  a lot of rules but, it's all the rules that make it a pleasant place to live and now I have a lot of respect and appreciate them.

Things I'm really going to miss. Germany in the Summer...A-MAZ-ING! It gets light at 4:45am and dark at 10pm. The days are beautiful when the sun is out, flowers everywhere, perfect temperature...it's heavenly. I loved sitting outside on a summer evening, the sun still up, wrapped in a fleece or blanket, talking with friends on the patio then realizing at 10:45pm that it was time to go to bed. The sky would still have a glimpse of light making it easy to forget the time. The trails. I've never seen such a continuous network of trails like there are here. You can literally run/ride from France to Berlin (or even further) on trails. It's really something.  I'm going to miss being able to drive to the Alps. I'm going to miss running in the Alps and racing in Europe. I'm going to miss beirgartens and hanging out at them after a long run or ride. I'm going to miss the Weinstrasse in the springtime and hanging out at the weinfests, summerfests and every other fest. I'm going to miss EVERYTHING being closed for business on Sunday...ha ha, no I'm not...just wanted to see if you were paying attention!  I'm going to miss hanging out at Christmas markets and drinking Gluhwein with friends. I'm going to miss my friends, Germans, Belgians, Spaniards, Austrians, Finnish, Icelandic, English and Americans...just know, you can always come visit us in the Springs. 

Germany is a beautiful country. My time here was beautiful.










No comments: